Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Finding Our Japanese Ancestors

Jason Manzanares, Leandra, Samantha, and Cameron Kalt as well as  Matthew Mori, Chucky Thomas, Jarod and I are Japanese American, our more distant ancestors once lived in Japan, but how to find them from so far away and after the passage of so much time? 

Michie Kobayakawa

This blog began as a journal of my geneological quest and will serve as a “Guidebook” for Matthew,  Chuck, Jarod and others curious about meeting their uncles, aunts and cousins still living in that distant land.

All I knew was that I’d find my answers starting at Niimi City Hall, near where my grandparents grew up.  When I departed on my first Japanese geneology expedition I didn’t know what the documents would look like that would lead me to my original Japanese family. But soon I learned that a koseki (戸籍) is a family registry where local authorities record:

  • family name and given name
  • date of birth
  • date of records and causes (marriage, death, adoption, etc.)
  • names of the father and the mother and the relation to them
  • if adopted, names of the adoptive father and mother
  • if married, whether the person is a husband or a wife
  • if transferred from another koseki, the former koseki
  • registered domicile (honseki-chi)

The Koseki document (below) from my Ishihara Family was printed out after four city hall clerks searched four hours at Niimi City Hall in Okayama Prefecture.


These koseki documents are Jarod and Chucky’s goal when searching for their living relatives in Japan.
 
 

This is what led me to:  


No comments:

Post a Comment